[R] The use of R Commander for beginning students and newbies

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Feb 8 19:40:24 CET 2013

Dear Tom,

As you can imagine, I watched your video with interest and found it quite
impressive. I do have a couple of comments and a question.

The comments: You change a numeric ID variable into a factor with several
thousand levels. I think that it would be more natural and efficient to
assign the ID variable as the row names of the data set, which you can do
via "Data -> Active data set -> Set case names". I also noticed that you run
the Rcmdr from the RGUI MDI (multiple-document interface). This works better
than it used to, but I think that it's still preferable to use the SDI
(single-document interface).

The question: You alluded repeatedly to the necessity to close the R
graphics-device window after each plot in order "not to have the plots pile
up on each other" (a paraphrase, but I think close to what you said). I'm
not sure what you mean. In most cases, a new plot should just replace the
previous one in the graphics-device window, unless you've turned plot
recording on, in which case you should be able to page between plots. I've
never had any trouble in either case, and am interested to learn what the
problem is.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada