[R] Avoid re-building a vignette

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Feb 11 16:04:55 CET 2013

On 11.02.2013 15:44, Terry Therneau wrote:
> I once knew the answer to this, but can't find where I found it.
>
> Say I have a vignette that I don't want R to automatically rebuild,
> perhaps it uses some data I can't share or takes too long to run or
> whatever.  Say it is mypackage/vignettes/charlie.Rnw
>
> It can create the pdf from an R session that actually has the data,
> place that result in inst/doc/charlie.pdf, then run
>       R CMD build --no-vignettes mypackage
>
> So far so good.  But then when I do R CMD INSTALL mypackage.tar.gz the
> intall process tries to run Sweave, resulting in a failure.   How do I
> get it to skip the Sweave call?

I think this happens when you R CMD build, not when you INSTALL.

Writing R Extensions tells us:
"The ‘BuildVignettes’ logical field can be set to a false value to stop
R CMD build from attempting to rebuild the vignettes, as well as
preventing R CMD check from testing this. This should only be used
exceptionally, for example if the PDFs need large figures which are not
part of the package sources."

Best,
Uwe