[R] 'gmm' package: How to pass controls to a numerical solver used in the gmm() function?

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Wed Feb 20 14:07:58 CET 2013

This is a quite general issue that those of us who try to prepare
optimization tools must deal with quite often. The minqa package
internal methods were designed to be used with customized controls to
the algorithm, but we had to "package" them with some more or less OK
compromise settings. If you use that package directly, you can change
the values, but not usually if it is wrapped inside something like gmm.

I'd welcome -- off list -- discussions with developers of packages like
gmm to find a consistent approach to allow the controls to be set by
those users needing to do so. A danger is that each wrapper package uses
either its own approach or none at all. My suggestion is that such
packages include a control() list as an argument with sensible defaults,
and that this list contains an item (probably also a list) of controls
to the optimizer(s). A bit ugly, but for most users, not used.

Best,

JN