[R] Problems with line types in plots saved as PDF files

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 19:05:57 CET 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:36 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 20-02-2013, at 12:58, Eik Vettorazzi <E.Vettorazzi at uke.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>> besides encouraging alternative pdf viewers, you just could thin out
>> your interpolation grid, such as
>> b = seq(-10, 10, 0.02) #instead of 0.0002
>> and everything goes fine even with AcroRead XI.
>>

> When I received the original mail this morning Mail.app on OS X 10.8.2 locked up completely when I tried to access the mail.
> Both Preview and QuickLook became totally unresponsive.
>
> With the above change  a(0.02 instead of 0.0002) all goes smoothly now.

It is true that Preview.app took an inordinately long time to display on my system (MacOS 10.6.8, Preview 5.0.3, Mail 4.6), but going out to refill my coffee cup did let it succeed. I didn't try with QuickLook.

--
David.
> Berend
>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Am 20.02.2013 01:09, schrieb Ian Renner:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to save a plot as a PDF with different line types. In the example below, R displays the plot correctly with 2 curves in solid lines, 2 curves in dashed lines and 1 curve as a dotted line. However, when I save the image as PDF (as attached), the dashed lines become solid. This also happens if I use the pdf command directly (by removing the # symbols).
>>>
>>> Is there any way around this? Saving the image as a JPEG or PNG file works fine but the image quality is not desirable.
>>>
>>> b.hat = 6
>>> a.1 = -12
>>> a.2 = 0
>>> a.3 = 200
>>>
>>> b = seq(-10, 10, 0.0002)
>>> l = a.1*(b - b.hat)^2 + a.2*(b - b.hat) + a.3
>>>
>>> lambda = 20
>>>
>>> p = -lambda*abs(b)
>>>
>>> pen.like = l + p
>>>
>>> y.min = 3*min(p)
>>> y.max = max(c(l, p, pen.like))
>>>
>>> #pdf(file = "TestPlot.pdf", 6, 6)
>>> #{
>>> plot(b, l, type = "l", ylim = c(y.min, y.max), lwd = 2, xlab = expression(beta), ylab = "", col = "green", yaxt = "n", xaxt = "n")
>>> points(b, p, type = "l", lty = "dotted", lwd = 2, col = "red")
>>> points(b, pen.like, type = "l", lwd = 2, lty = "dashed", col = "green")
>>>
>>> axis(1, at = c(0))
>>> axis(2, at = c(0))
>>>
>>> lambda.hat = which.max(pen.like)
>>> lambda.glm = which(b == b.hat)
>>>
>>> points(b[lambda.glm], l[lambda.glm], pch = 16, cex = 1.5)
>>> points(b[lambda.hat], l[lambda.hat], pch = 17, cex = 1.5)
>>>
>>> b.hat = -3
>>> a.1 = -1.5
>>> a.2 = 0