[R] 2 setGeneric's, same name, different method signatures

Romain Fenouil fenouil at ciml.univ-mrs.fr
Fri Feb 22 11:18:45 CET 2013

Dear Martin Morgan,

thank you very much for your answer that made it clear to me.
Since my package is linked to yours by essence, there is no reason to
redefine the existing setGeneric functions.

As a summary, if someone is importing functions from another package, he is
supposed to know they already exist and shouldn't redefine their generic
template. This can sound stupid like that but wasn't clear to me before
putting everything in a package.
Moreover this situation is not an issue while loading another package that
potentially has functions with same names thanks to the Namespaces
implicitly encapsulating the packages.

Thank you again and I hope the package will be of interest for the community
:)

Romain.