[R] R on mac not installing packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 22:46:29 CET 2013

On 22/02/2013 21:26, David Winsemius wrote:
> The system is reporting that it cannot find `make`. It appears that you have not installed XCode on you Mac, or that you did with an earlier version for which you have not updated, or something else which has broken your installation. Please read the MacOS FAQ. (And post further such question on the SIG-Mac mailing list.)

For the record, such information is in the 'R Installation and
Administration Manual', as from R-patched (and hence R 2.15.3 and R
3.0.0).  See e.g.
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Mac-OS-X .

On recent versions of OS X it is not Xcode you need, but the 'Xcode
command-line tools'.  These can be installed from inside Xcode
(Preferences->Downloads->Components) or separately.

For Hmisc you will need a matching Fortran compiler: see that manual.