[R] Is it possible to obtain an agglomeration schedule with R cluster analyis

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Sat Feb 23 21:48:57 CET 2013

Hello Uwes,

Thanks. Re-reading the hclust pages I found that using the hclust
'USArrests' data  that the command > plot (hc1)  will generate the
order in which cases joined. however, I still can't see how to obtain
the respective height at which each case joined each cluster or the
height when clusters merge.

The dendrogram {stats} page provides the following code which
produces the information that I require. However, what I would like
to obtain is a table of the height at which cluster formed.

 > hc <- hclust(dist(USArrests), "ave")
 > (dend1 <- as.dendrogram(hc)) # "print()" method
 > str(dend1)          # "str()" method

I also found as.hclust which plots what I want, but I still can't
find a way to produce the actual height values which are being
plotted, for example as a tabular summary.

  plot(hc) ;  mtext("hclust", side=1)

Any assistance is appreciated,

Bob