[R] sys.frame() and variables from parent frame

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 18:44:57 CET 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 1:11 AM, Zé Miguel wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> thanks for your reply. Sorry for the ambiguous example. I guess the get() will do it, but I still have a question regarding the parent frame. If I declare both function g and f in the global environment:
>
> g <- function()
> {
> get(N,envir = ???)
> write(N)
> }
>
> f<-function()
> {
> N<-99
> g()
> }
>
> What is the environment I should be evoking in the get() function? Excuse me for the bad coding, I jst migrated from another language, please interpret it as a generic language.

You can specify the global environment with either a function call or by a consant name

 globalenv()

 .GlobalEnv

In your code however, 'N' is not in the global environment and you are not passing a character argument to get() as you had been in your first example. Furthermore you have chosen to use write which does not gte the desired effect of reporting from inside a function.

g <- function()
{
get("N", envir = .GlobalEnv)  # character argument to get
cat(N)
}

f<-function()
{
N<-99  # not in the global environment
g()
}

N <- 42  # assigned in the global environment
f()
# returns 42

--
David.