[R] positioning of R windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 01:20:07 CET 2013

On 13-02-27 5:33 PM, Glenn Stauffer wrote:
> I have 2 (related, I think) questions about positioning of windows within R.
>
> 1.       I often work with a second monitor and sometimes like to arrange 1
> or more plot windows on the second monitor, while keeping the console on the
> primary monitor (so I can see things better). I used to be able to do this
> (when using Windows XP), but it seems that now (using Windows 7) I can't
> even move the plot window outside of the parent R window. Is this a Windows
> 7 issue, or something I can fix with R preferences?

Sounds like you are running in MDI mode, and want to be using SDI mode.
  See Edit | GUI preferences, or the choices when you do an install.

> 2.       When I use the file menu to change directories I noticed 2
> differences from Win XP to Win 7. In Win 7, 1) the bottom of the pop-up
> window is off the bottom of my computer, and 2) the directory tree defaults
> to something close to the root, regardless of the current working directory.
> In Win XP, the directory tree defaulted to the current working directory,
> which made it easy to jump up one folder, etc. Is there any way to make this
> the default behavior?
>
> I am using R 2.15.1

That version isn't current, but I don't recall any changes related to
this (not to say there weren't any).  I'd upgrade to 2.15.3 when it is
released later this week and see if you still have problems.

Duncan Murdoch