[R] predict.smooth.Pspline function not found

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 07:55:02 CET 2013

On 28/02/2013 00:29, zoe richards wrote:
> I have a simple question that irritatingly I haven't been able to figure
> out on my own.  It seems that some functions from the "Pspline" package are
> successfully installed while others are not.  The code with which I'm
> working is more complicated, but the following highlights my problem.  If I
> run the following code
>
>> tt <- seq (0,1,length=20)
>> xt <- tt^3
>> fit <- smooth.Pspline (tt, xt, norder=3,spar=0.0001, method=1)
>> pred<- predict.smooth.Pspline (fit, tt, nderiv=0)
>
> I get this error:
> "Error: could not find function "predict.smooth.Pspline""
>
> So it seems like "smooth.Pspline" is loading but "predict.smooth.Pspline"
> isn't.  Any ideas about why this might be the case?

You should not be calling a method directly.  Call predict().  If you
look at the help in ?predict.smooth.Pspline, it says

Usage:

      ## S3 method for class 'smooth.Pspline'
      predict(object, xarg, nderiv = 0, ...)

Arguments:

   object: a fitted ‘smooth.Pspline’ object.

so you needed to follow the help ....

The maintainer of pspline.