[R] Make a column from columns

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Jan 3 11:07:37 CET 2013

On 01/03/2013 04:00 PM, Aseem Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a data matrix with 13 columns and 55 rows.  First coulmn is year and
> other are monthly values for 55 years.
> Now i want to create a single column of all the values ( i e  a single time
> series column from column 2 to 13 ).
> Is it the for loop that works here ...how ?
> or how i can rearrange the data so that it becomes a times series column.
> hope i made the question clear .
> thank you,

Hi Aseem,
This is a "reshape" problem. There is a "reshape" function in the stats
package that comes with R that will do this. Say your data frame is
named "mydata" and the columns are named "year" and "Jan" to "Dec":

reshape(mydata,varying=month.abb,v.names="month",
  timevar="year",direction="long")

Jim