[R] building a regression model

dada paxkn at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 00:53:40 CET 2013

Hi

I am trying to build a regression model. My data looks like this:

A	B	C	D	        E
1	1	1	2.57	5
2	0	0	1.64	3
0	5	1	4.8	        1
1	3	0	3.56	168
1	1	1	2.13	1
0	3	1	5	        168
2	0	0	7.75	28
4	0	2	2.85	168
3	0	1	1.89	6
1	1	1	2.33	3
3	2	2	1.77	168
1	0	0	1.38	0.04
0	6	1	4.57	168
2	2	2	2.86	1
3	1	1	4.11	168
3	0	2	3	         84
1	1	1	2.5	         56

where E is a response variable and A, B, C, D are predictor variables. Below
are commands which I enter in R:

str (mydata)
mydata.lm = lm (E ~ 1, data = mydata) # to create a blank model
add1(mydata.lm, mydata, test='F') # to add the best predictor variable to
the blank model

However at this point the message appears:

Warning messages:
1: In model.matrix.default(Terms, m, contrasts.arg = object$contrasts) :
  the response appeared on the right-hand side and was dropped
2: In model.matrix.default(Terms, m, contrasts.arg = object$contrasts) :
  problem with term 4 in model.matrix: no columns are assigned

What does it mean ? Could you please help ?