[R] how to label two figures in the same chunk independently with knitr

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Tue Jan 8 18:03:14 CET 2013

All you mentioned are possible; knitr has very comprehensive support
to figures in LaTeX, and what you want in this case is subfigures
(\usepackage{subfig}); here is an example:
https://github.com/yihui/knitr-examples/blob/master/067-graphics-options.Rnw
(search for 'fig.subcap' for the relevant chunk)

And here is a preview: http://i.imgur.com/4lKpw.png

Regards,
Yihui
--