[R] A problem with X11 "headers/libs".

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 11 10:45:56 CET 2013

I am trying to build R-patched from source on a (newly installed)
Fedora 17 system on a new laptop.

When I do the usual ./configure the procedure comes to a halt
with the error message:

> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not
> available

But X11 is installed, and when I did

     sudo yum install libX11-devel.x86_64

I was told that this package was also already installed.

What do I do to make the headers/libs "available" please?

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

P. S. Is there a way to get a binary version of R-patched for Fedora 17,
e.g. by using "yum install <something>"?  Nothing, that I could think of
to try, worked.

         R. T.