[R] A problem with X11 "headers/libs".

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jan 12 03:22:54 CET 2013

On 01/12/2013 12:41 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 11:28, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
>> Le vendredi 11 janvier 2013 à 22:45 +1300, Rolf Turner a écrit :
>>> I am trying to build R-patched from source on a (newly installed)
>>> Fedora 17 system on a new laptop.
>>>
>>> When I do the usual ./configure the procedure comes to a halt
>>> with the error message:

>>> But X11 is installed, and when I did
>>>
>>>       sudo yum install libX11-devel.x86_64
>>>
>>> I was told that this package was also already installed.
>>>
>>> What do I do to make the headers/libs "available" please?
>> FWIW, here I have all of these installed. I have no idea which ones are
>> required, but installed them is cheap, so probably worth testing:
>> libXScrnSaver-devel libXau-devel libXcomposite-devel libXcursor-devel
>> libXdamage-devel libXext-devel libXfixes-devel libXft-devel
>> libXi-devel libXinerama-devel libXpm-devel libXrandr-devel
>> libXrender-devel libXt-devel libXv-devel libXtst-devel
>>

> The test (and an R build) needs libXt-devel as well as libX11-devel.
> As the manual does say ....

Thank you.  After I did

     sudo yum install libXt-devel

the configure and make ran without problem.

And yes, I'm sure "the manual" does indeed say that.  But if one is
floundering
in the dark and is unsure of just what the problem is and of the
appropriate place
to look for a solution, one could spend the rest of one's life, and then
some, searching
through manuals (and books and web pages and God knows what else) without
becoming any wiser in respect of the problem which is at issue.

     cheers,

         Rolf