[R] Loading circular package from Rprofile.site

Ved P. Sharma vedsharma at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 04:49:34 CET 2013

Hi,

I installed "circular" package and I wanted to load it automatically
when R starts up, so I added the following lines in file
Rprofile.site,

.First <- function()
 library(circular)

When R starts up, it gives me the following error:
----------
Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'circular', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: could not find function "packageDescription"
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘circular’
----------

What's surprising is that instead of loading "circular" from the
Rprofile.site, if I run R and load this package

> library(circular)

it works fine and gives me the following message:
----------
Package 'circular', 0.4-3 (2011-07-18). Type 'help(Circular)' for
summary information.
 Please report any bugs or comments to <Claudio Agostinelli> claudio at unive.it
 The package redefine how function 'var' and 'sd' works
 In particular, (try 'methods(var)' and 'methods(sd)')
 notice that 'var.default' ('sd.default')is an alias for the original
'var' ('sd') function
 and that a method for data.frame is available.

Attaching package: ‘circular’

The following object(s) are masked from ‘package:stats’:

    sd, var

I am puzzled as to why there are different responses to the same
command? FYI, I am running R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) on Windows 7,
i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

I have other installed packages, which load up fine from the
Rprofile.site at R startup. The error seems to occur only with
"circular".

Ved