[R] readJPEG function cannot open jpeg files

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Jan 14 17:44:18 CET 2013

You can use file.info("myFile") to make sure the file exists and has appropriate permissions ("mode"
in file.info's lingo, as in Unix).  E.g.,

> file.info("c:/temp/BO.jpeg") # this one does not exist
                size isdir mode mtime ctime atime  exe
c:/temp/BO.jpeg   NA    NA <NA>  <NA>  <NA>  <NA> <NA>
> file.info("c:/temp/BO.jpg") # this one exists
                 size isdir mode               mtime               ctime               atime
c:/temp/BO.jpg 150536 FALSE  666 2013-01-14 08:35:32 2013-01-14 08:33:09 2013-01-14 08:33:09
               exe
c:/temp/BO.jpg  no

I can readJPEG() the file with mode 666, but not all permission information is encoded in the mode.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com