[R] readHTMLTable (XML package)

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 21:22:04 CET 2013

Hi Dan,

A couple of things: first, I think that file really does not exist (at
least I can't open it in my web browser). Second, even if it did,
url() cannot download from https, according to the details section of
?url, which points you to RCurl. So, once you verify that you url
actually exists you can do something like

library(XML)
library(RCurl)
tabs <- readHTMLTable(getURL("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population"))

Best,