[R] how to use "..."

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at u-bourgogne.fr
Mon Jan 21 11:32:45 CET 2013

Since this topic was mine originally, I supposed I can give my opinion,
for what it's worth!

First, it is true that there is some help in the manuals. The problem
with these manuals (or at least, my problem) is that there were much too
complicated when I started to learn R. Then I got used to other ways of
looking for help, especially ? or help(). Now that I understand more
about R, I should think about the manuals again.
Because of this, if "..." should not be included in a help page, I
believe that ?"..." should at least lead to the relevant documentation.

Now to the documentation itself. I find this "..." very strange; it is
not intuitive at all for me. And the explanations in the manuals
(Introduction to R and R language definition) are very short, without
any details and real practical examples (please correct me if I missed
something). This construct is very easy to use when it is implemented in
some functions, but somehow I don't feel at ease when using it to write
my own functions; I cannot predict how it should work, I can only try
and see what happens. Actually I feel that it is very easy, at least in
most cases; but I cannot be sure of it.

Hope this helps to make things even better!
And thank you again for the original problem :)
Ivan

--
Ivan CALANDRA
Université de Bourgogne