[R] change confidence interval line length in barplot2 (plotrix package)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 21:24:25 CET 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Martin Batholdy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any way to change the width of the horizontal line of confidence intervals
> in the barplot2 function in the plotrix package (independent of the width of the bars)?
>

> example code:
>
> library(plotrix)
> # Example with confidence intervals and grid
> hh <- t(VADeaths)[, 1]
> mybarcol <- "gray20"
> ci.l <- hh * 0.85
> ci.u <- hh * 1.15
> mp <- barplot2(hh, beside = TRUE,
>        col = c("lightblue", "mistyrose",
>                "lightcyan", "lavender"),
>        legend = colnames(VADeaths), ylim = c(0, 20),
>        main = "Death Rates in Virginia", font.main = 4,
>        sub = "Faked 95 percent error bars", col.sub = mybarcol,
>        cex.names = 1.5, plot.ci = TRUE, ci.l = ci.l, ci.u = ci.u)

When I did an sos::findFn("barplot2") search to locate the "real" `barplot2` O alos noted in the same package (gplots) a function named `ooplot`. It calls itself an extenstion of barplot2 and has a ci.lwd argument. Might save you the time of doing what I thought might be needed, hacking te code.

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA