[R] Locate Patients who have multiple high blood pressure readings

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jan 31 18:52:06 CET 2013

Well, since no one has responded....

Please use ?dput to provide data in your posts.

 There are likely  zillions of way to go about this. Following is one
way based on ?duplicated that I think works, but I make no claims for
either elegance or efficiency. Others may do lots better. But maybe it
suffices.

## Untested
## I assume the data is provided in a data frame named dd.

## All PT_ID's with >=1 high readings in SBP or in DBP
> hiS <- with(dd,PT_ID[OBS_TYPE == "SBP" & Blood_Pressure >= 140])
> hiD <-  with(dd,PT_ID[OBS_TYPE == "DBP" & Blood_Pressure > =90])

## id's that appear more than once in either
> union(unique(hiS[duplicated(hiS)]), unique(hiD[duplicated(hiD)])

## you can subset your data frame to match just these,  e.g. via
%in%, if you like.

Cheers,
Bert