[R] Non-linear modelling with several variables including a categorical variable

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Wed Jul 3 15:51:52 CEST 2013

If preytype is an independent variable, then models based on it should
be OK. If preytype comes into the parameters you are trying to estimate,
then the easiest way is often to generate all the possible combinations
(integers --> fairly modest number of these) and run all the least
squares minimizations. Crude but effective. nlxb from nlmrt or nlsLM
from minpack.lm may be more robust in doing this, but less efficient if
nls works OK.

JN