[R] bootstrapping respecting subject level information

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 01:38:53 CEST 2013

On Jul 3, 2013, at 7:19 PM, Sol Lago wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is the first time I use this forum, and I want to say from the start I am not a skilled programmer. So please let me know if the question or code were unclear!
>
> I am trying to bootstrap an interaction (that is my test statistic) using the package "boot". My problem is that for every resample, I would like the randomization to be done within subjects, so that observations from different subjects are not mixed. Here is the code to generate a dataframe similar to mine:
>
> Subject = rep(c("S1","S2","S3","S4"),4)
> Num     = rep(c("singular","plural"),8)
> Gram    = rep(c("gram","gram","ungram","ungram"),4)
> RT      = c(657,775,678,895,887,235,645,916,930,768,890,1016,590,978,450,920)
> data    = data.frame(Subject,Num,Gram,RT)
>
> This is the code I used to get the empirical interaction value:
>
> summary(lm(RT ~ Num*Gram, data=data))
>
> As you can see, the interaction between my two factors is -348.

That depends on what you mean by "the interaction between my two factors". It is almost never a good idea to attempt interpretation of interaction coefficients, and is always preferable to check the predictions of hte model.

> I want to get a bootstrap confidence interval for this statistic, which I can generate using the "boot" package:
>
> #Function to create the statistic to be boostrapped
> boot.huber <- function(data, indices) {
> data <- data[indices, ] #select obs. in bootstrap sample
> mod <- lm(RT ~ Num*Gram, data=data)
> coefficients(mod)       #return coefficient vector
> }
>
> #Generate bootstrap estimate
> data.boot <- boot(data, boot.huber, 1999)
>
> #Get confidence interval
> boot.ci(data.boot, index=4, type=c("norm", "perc", "bca"),conf=0.95) #4 gets the CI for the interaction
>
> My problem is that I think the resamples should be generated without mixing the individual subjects observations: that is, to generate the new resamples, the observations from subject 1 (S1) should be shuffled within subject 1,

What does that mean?

> not mixing them with the observations from subjects 2, etc... I don't know how "boot" is doing the resampling (I read the documentation but don't understand how the function is doing it)

It's doing it by selecting randomly entire rows. It is not "shuffling within rows" for selected subjects.

> Does anyone know how I could make sure that the resampling procedure used by "boot" respects the subject level information?

It would be doing so because that is the way you set up the indexing. The column ordering tof the data within subjects is not permuted.

I do think you are beyond your understanding of the statstical principles that you are attempting to use and would be safer to consult with a statsitician.

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA