[R] Lattice barchart with error bars

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 20:28:35 CEST 2013

On Jul 5, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Shaun Jackman wrote:

> Hi Bert, Dennis,
>
> I'll agree that using a barchart was a poor choice. I was in fact using a
> notched bwplot to show the median and confidence interval of the median. In
> this case it's the median and confidence interval that I want to highlight,
> and I find that the visual noise of the box and whiskers is detracting from
> the focus, and those wee notches are not much to focus on. So, I'd like to
> draw a stripplot with error bars, preferably in Lattice. Let's call this a
> TIE fighter plot. Any suggestions?

I like the TIE fighter label. Try this:

library(latticeExtra)
data(USCancerRates)
segplot(reorder(factor(county), rate.male) ~ LCL95.male + UCL95.male,
        data = subset(USCancerRates, state == "Washington"),
        draw.bands = FALSE, centers = rate.male,
        segments.fun = panel.arrows, ends = "both",
        angle = 90, length = 1, unit = "mm")

It's what Sarkar has recommended in the past when this request has been posted.

--
David