[R] Meta-analysis on a repeated measures design with multiple trials per subject using metafor

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 14:56:10 CEST 2013

At 11:15 05/07/2013, Marc Heerdink wrote:
>Dear Wolfgang and other readers of the r-help list,
>
>Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the data
>that I have can not be described with a table such as the one you
>have made, because there's no identical trial under both treatment 1
>and treatment 2. To explain, let me explain a bit more about the experiments:
>
>* All subjects were presented with the same number of trials
>* Half of these trials were preceded by a prime from category 1
>(treatment 1) and half of these trials with a prime from category 2
>(treatment 2)
>* Subjects were asked to respond to these trials (a unique stimulus
>for each trial) by pressing one of two keys on the keyboard.
>
>Because everything was randomized, I can only calculate the total
>number of times a certain response was used under each type of
>trial. There is no pairing of trials under two treatments, so I am
>forced to use the marginal totals from your table.

But presumably you could calculate some statistic suitable for
summarising the relevant features here? Difference in proportions,
odds ratio, ...

>I have uploaded a simplified version of the data for one experiment
>to illustrate this (the actual experiments have five treatments and
>some have moderators):
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhgo12cm1asl6x8/exampledata.csv
>
>This is the script that I used to generate the data:
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uyeaexhnqiiy55/exampledata.R
>
>The problem thus appears to lie mainly in estimating the variance of
>the proportion difference from only the marginal totals, is that
>correct? Is there a way to calculate it from only the marginal totals?
>
>One alternative that I have tried over the last few days, is to use
>the b parameter of interest and it's corresponding standard error
>from the lme4 regression output that I use to analyse the individual
>experiments. Then, I use rma(yi, sei) to do a meta-analysis on these
>parameters. I am not sure this is correct though, since it takes
>into account between-subjects variance (through a random effect for
>subject), and it is sensitive to the covariates/moderators I include
>in the models that I get the b parameters from.

So you end up with 5 values of b? The fact that they adjust for
different moderators does not seem an issue to me, indeed it could be
argued to be an advantage of the meta-analytic approach here.

>Thanks again for your help, and for any suggestions for solving this problem!

I think we are all assuming you have different participants in each
experiment but I thought I would raise that as a question.

Michael Dewey
info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html