[R] install.packages umask configuration

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 10 02:02:41 CEST 2013

Hi,

The R-admin manual says:

"If installing packages on a Unix-alike to be used by other users,
ensure that the system umask is set to give sufficient permissions
(see also Sys.umask in R). (To a large extent this is unnecessary in
recent versions of R, which install packages as if umask = 022.)"

I want install.packages() to honor my umask which is 002. I can't find
a way to do that; is it possible?

My goal is for any user in a specific group to be able to update
packages installed by any other user in that group. (This is on an
Ubuntu machine.)

I've also tried setting a recursive acl on $R_HOME/library in which
group write permission is always set, but install.packages() does not
seem to honor that.

(For the record, this question was asked before
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2012-August/321839.html) but
not answered.)

Thanks,
Dan