[R] replacement functions for subsets

Harry Mamaysky h.mamaysky at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 21:17:15 CEST 2013

As I understand it rownames(aa) returns a copy of an attribute of aa. So changing the value of this vector should make the change to the copy of the row.names attribute. I would then have to set the original row.names equal to this copy to effect the change.

So my question is why "rownames(aa)[2:4] <-" changes the original attribute rather than its copy?

And the follow on question is whether it's possible to have "f(x)[2:4] <-" operate in the same way for some user defined replacement function f.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2013, at 3:05 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

On Jul 10, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Harry Mamaysky wrote:

> I know how to define replacement functions in R (i.e. ‘foo<-‘ <- function(x,value) x<-value, etc.), but how do you define replacement functions that operate on subsets of arrays (i.e. how do you pass an index into foo)?
> For example, why does the following use of “rownames” work?

`rownames` of a dataframe is a vector, so indexing with "[" and a single vector of indices is adequate. I cannot really tell what your conceptual "why"-difficulty might be. This is just assignment within a vector. That is not really a "replacement function operating on a subset of an array" since rownames are not values of the dataframe .... and it's not an "array". (Careful use of terms is needed here.)