[R] Recherche de fonction

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 11 09:32:27 CEST 2013

On 11-07-2013, at 09:04, Raphaëlle Carraud <raphaelle.carraud at oc-metalchem.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply, even though I wrote in French.
>
> In reality, the variables r1, r4, r5 are expressed as functions of A, B, C, D, E, I and H, which are the variables I wish to calculate with the program. Those are expressed as functions of their derivatives in 6 of the 8 equation at my disposal. The two other equations are equilibrium that must be respected, and I found a publication in which they are solving this type of problem. Unfortunately, they did not say how.
>
> Considering those two algebraic equation, I considered my problem to be an algebraic differential equation system, which is said, according to R deSolve package documentation, to be possibly solved by the function daspk or radau. But I can't seem to make it work.
>
> For the initial values, the only ones I know for sure are A, B, C, D, E, I, G and H. Their derivatives are only approximations.  I used them because the R documentation seems to say it was necessary (in the exemple) and because the function told me it didn't know dA, which is the first differential variable.

1. You should keep replies on the list so that others can follow the discussion and offer advice. I am sending this reply to the list.

2. Let's see if my analysis of your problem is correct.
You have a system of differential equations with dA,dB,dC,dD,dE,dI,dG,dH (8 in stead of the 7 I mentioned previously. I missed dD).
You have two equilibrium equations with K2 and K3 which describe a relation between A,B,C and D which must always be true?

These differentials are expressed as a system of linear equations in terms of the state variables.
You can write this as

Matrix %*% column-vector(dA,dB,…) = vector depending on state variables

where the matrix is 6 x 8 and the d-vector  is 8x1.
That is an underdetermined system.

You could take the differential of the two equilibrium equations to get additional relationships between dA,dB,dC, and dD.
That should give you a square system of linear equations that you could solve with R's solve() assuming it is not singular or ill-conditioned.

I feel that you should try very hard to find out how such a system is solved in the paper you mention.

Before using deSolve you should first get the function that computes the d? variables in terms of the state variables working correctly.

Berend