[R] problem with BootCV for coxph in pec after feature selection with glmnet (lasso)

E Joffe ejoffe at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 15:13:52 CEST 2013

pec accepts only R-objects for which a predictSurvProb method exists and
glmnet is not such an object.

    Currently, predictSurvProb methods are available for the following
R-objects:
    matrix
    aalen, cox.aalen from library(timereg)
    mfp from library(mfp)
    phnnet, survnnet from library(survnnet)
    rpart (from library(rpart))
    coxph, survfit from library(survival)
    cph, psm from library(rms)
    prodlim from library(prodlim)
    glm from library(stats)

For calculating the brier score for glmnet one needs to use the peperr
package with the c060 library that wraps glmnet as an object suitable for
peperr.

    peperr_glmnet_noerror <- peperr(response=Surv(time, status), x=x,
                        fit.fun=fit.glmnet, args.fit=list(family="cox"),

complexity=complexity.glmnet,args.complexity=list(family="cox"),
                        indices=resample.indices(n=length(time),
method="boot", sample.n=10))

To get the integrated brier score for the entire model it seems one needs to
use the ipec function but I still need to research that.

Many thanks to Thomas Hielscher who authored the c060 package and was
extremely kind to help me with this.