[R] how to resolve the install problem in redhat linux

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 08:25:54 CEST 2013

On 17/07/2013 07:02, Jie Tang wrote:
> I try to install a R resource package (in R.2.15 or R 3.0)

There are no such versions of R: see the posting guide.

> But when I run the command "configure",the Makefile does not
>
> generated succefully as error information shown as below
>
> --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are not available
>
> my linux sysem is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.3 (Tikanga)"
>
> How could I install R?

As the INSTALL file says

The main source of information on installation is the `R Installation
and Administration Manual', an HTML copy of which is available as file
`doc/html/R-admin.html'.  Please read that before installing R.  But
if you are impatient, read on but please refer to the manual to
resolve any problems.

The exact part is

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Essential-programs-and-libraries

and the para just above

'Remember that some package management systems (such as RPM and deb)
make a distinction between the user version of a package and the
development version. The latter usually has the same name but with the
extension ‘-devel’ or ‘-dev’: you need both versions installed. '

put please read all of the manual as you were asked to: it is likely
other pieces of your OS also need to be installed.

I believe there are also binary packages available for R from RedHat:
but for that, ask on R-sig-fedora.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk