[R] how to download Journal Citation Reports with R

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 00:58:22 CEST 2013

Wet Bell Diver <wetbelldiver <at> gmail.com> writes:

> R-3.0.1, Rstudio, Win7 x64
>
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to download all the webpages of the Journal Citations
> Report (science edition), for a given year. I can do so manually, but
> that it very time intensive, so I would like to use R for that.
>
> I have tried many things, including:
> download.file(url =
> "http://admin-apps.webofknowledge.com/JCR/JCR?RQ=SELECT_ALL&cursor=21",
> destfile = "test.htm", method = "internal")
> which would get the page starting with journal number 21.
> However, test.htm only includes the message:
>
>  >>>

  You need to review the RCurl package and look for "cookies", which
will allow you (once you have established a session in a browser) to
copy the cookies (tokens which allow you access) into your R session.
However, you will probably be violating the terms of service of JCR.
You should talk to your librarian about this.  When I wanted to do
a similar project I worked out a system where I generated the URLs
automatically and got a student assistant to (efficiently) go to the
URLs and paste the results into output files.

  Ben Bolker