[R] mgcv: pcls() makes everything linear

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 23:08:26 CEST 2013

I can't see anything immediately wrong except:

1. presumably there are repeated values in 'road_quiet' aren't there? If
so then your inequality constraint matrix
will contain constraints that are *exact* copies of each other. I'm not
sure, and don't immediately have time to try it
out, but it could be that this will cause a problem (what might happen
is that you hit a constraint, project into its null space, but
numerically the search direction then appears to be about to violate a
copy of the constraint, so the copy gets added to the set of active
constraints, and then another copy, and so on until it appears that the
problem is fully constrained). Could you try replacing your constraints
with some based on a grid  of e.g. 50 points spread evenly over the
range of 'road_quiet' values. (If that does solve the problem please let
me know, and I can add a check for constraint uniqueness to pcls.)

2. A long shot, but what is the range of values of road_quiet? eps
should probably be around 1e-7 times the typical size of road_quiet (by
'around' I mean something in the range 1e-4 to 1e-9, say). If eps is
much too small or much too large
then the constraints become poor approximations to the gradient of the
spline. I doubt this is the problem, however.

If those two fail you could send me some data (offline) with which I can
reproduce the problem (smaller the better!), and I can dig further (on
usual - only for this purpose - basis).

best,

Simon