[R] Repeated measures Cox regression ??coxph??

Göran Broström gb at stat.umu.se
Fri Jul 26 08:54:26 CEST 2013

On 07/26/2013 04:06 AM, John Sorkin wrote:
> David Thank you for your thoughts. The data I am analyzing do not
> come from a clinical trial but rather from a cohort study whose aim
> is to determine risk factors for surgical therapy to treat their
> joints. John

As David explained, there are several ways of approaching this
situation. If it is a treatment/control case (which yours isn't),
stratification is appropriate. It boils down to a simple sign test
where we compare the number of pairs with longest survival of the
treated with the number of pairs with the longest survival of the
control. Undetermined (due to censoring) pairs are thrown away.

Generally, stratification is an alternative to the frailty model, but it
has some drawbacks: loss of power (especially with small stratum sizes),
and you cannot use covariates that are constant within pairs (personal
characteristics in your case). The frailty model comes with stronger
assumptions than stratification, but you avoid the drawbacks just
mentioned. The clustering method, finally, is for variance correction in
the ordinary Cox regression.

In your case, would recommend the frailty approach with coxme (while we
wait for Terry's verdict!).

Göran