[R] Holt-Winters problem

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 26 17:33:14 CEST 2013

On 26-07-2013, at 16:18, Przemek Gawin <arl3nu at gmail.com> wrote:

> This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
> This post was updated on Jul 26, 2013; 4:40pm.
> Hello,
>
> Two days ago I started my journey with R, and right now I'm struck on
> Holtwinters, and have no idea, what I'm doing wrong. So now, I'll show
> step by step what I've been doing. Actually it is a part of "Introducy
> Time Series with R".
>
> 1) I download data from
> http://www.massey.ac.nz/~pscowper/ts/motororg.dat due to port
> blockage. Save it as motororg.txt
>
> 2) Inserting this code:
> Motor.dat <- read.table("motororg.txt", header = T)
> attach(Motor.dat)
> Comp.hw1 <- HoltWinters(complaints, beta = 0, gamma = 0)
>
> 3) Baang! Error here.
> "Error in decompose(ts(x[1L:wind], start = start(x), frequency = f),
> seasonal) :
> time series has no or less than 2 periods"

Your complaints vector is not a timeseries.

From the section Arguments of HoltWinters:

gamma	parameter used for the seasonal component. If set to FALSE, an non-seasonal model is fitted.

So use gamma=FALSE.

Don't use attach().
Use Motor.dat$complaints in the HoltWinter call

or

Comp.hw1 <- with(Motor.dat, HoltWinters(complaints,  beta = 0, gamma = FALSE))

Berend