[R] cannot install XML package - getting "cannot open URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/XML_3.98-1.1.zip' error

Fri Jul 26 17:58:37 CEST 2013

I have no trouble accessing either of those files. Keep in mind that servers do not have 100% uptime (and the people responsible for uptime do not monitor this forum), and any local network problems you may be having cannot be addressed here. So, in general you need to try more servers, confirm the file you want does exist, verify that your local network is functioning, and practice a little patience.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing