[R] glmx specification of heteroskedasticity (and its use in Heckit)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Sat Jun 1 00:29:40 CEST 2013

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Michal Kvasni?ka wrote:

> Hallo.
>
> Many thanks for your answer. Let me check please that I do understand
> it correctly. Does it mean that the estimated log-likelyhood function
> is (in the Gaussian case)
>
>  sum y * log F(x'b / exp(z'g)) + sum (1 - y) * log(1 - F(x'b / exp(z'g))
>
> where F is standard normal CDF, and the rest is as in your mail?

Yes, this is the likelihood.

In a GLM context, one would call this the "Gaussian" case though. It's the
binomial case with a probit link: family = binomial(link = "logit"). And
this is equivalent to observing a binary variable from a latent Gaussian.

However, it would also be possible to set family = gaussian where the
likelihood itself would be Gaussian (typically with an identity link).

Best,