[R] CGIwithR installation failure

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Sun Jun 9 00:27:34 CEST 2013

Hello,

CGIwithR apparently is not available on CRAN for R 2.15.x, so I
downloaded the source (0.73) and tried:

~/Downloads$ R CMD INSTALL CGIwithR
* installing to library ‘/home/rex/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.15’
* installing *source* package ‘CGIwithR’ ...
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating R/CGIwithR.R

   After the installation of this R package is complete
   copy the files R.cgi and .Rprofile in
       /home/rex/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.15/CGIwithR/cgi-bin/
   to the cgi-bin area of your Web server. If necessary,
   modify the settings in the first part of R.cgi to
   suit your local configuration.

** R
Error in parse(outFile) : embedded nul in string: '\0'
ERROR: unable to collate and parse R files for package ‘CGIwithR’

Any suggestions, including using a different package, appreciated.

Background: I want to solve the classic diet linear programming
problem. The CGI code needs to parse a POST, access a MySQL DB, solve
the problem (probably using the linprog package), and present the
solution to the vistor. I've done CGI programming in Python, but
not in R and don't know if CGIwithR is a good choice. It hasn't
been updated since 2005, so a more current package may be a better
choice. OTOH, my needs are (currently) simple so CGIwithR may
be an OK choice.

I've a Python version that does the above, except for finding the
lowest cost diet that meets constraints. The Python input form will be
used in the R version (no point in reinventing the wheel).

http://www.nosyntax.net/birdnutrit/

Thanks for any help.

-rex
--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.