[R] CGIwithR installation failure

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Sun Jun 9 09:26:18 CEST 2013

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> [2013-06-08 23:23]:
>On 08/06/2013 23:27, rex wrote:
>>CGIwithR apparently is not available on CRAN for R 2.15.x, so I
>
>It is not hosted on CRAN.  You should ask its maintainer (and package
>installation problems most often belong on the R-devel list).

Actually it is, but not in the usual place.

>See what the posting guide says about that and about upgrading your R
>before posting.

I did read the posting guide before posting, and I'm in no hurry to
upgrade R, thank you. As you can see from my [Solved] post, the problem
was with 0.72, and 0.73 works with R 2.15.3.

>>Background: I want to solve the classic diet linear programming
>>problem. The CGI code needs to parse a POST, access a MySQL DB,
>>solve the problem (probably using the linprog package), and present
>>the solution to the vistor. I've done CGI programming in Python, but
>>not in R and don't know if CGIwithR is a good choice. It hasn't been
>>updated since 2005 [0.73 was updated in 2010], so a more current
>>package may be a better choice. OTOH, my needs are (currently)
>>simple so CGIwithR may be an OK choice.

It would have been nice to get some feedback on the suitability of
CGIwithR compared to other CGI alternatives.

-rex
--
Life would be easier if I had the source code.