[R] Help with R loop for URL download from FRED to create US time series

arum arumkone at wrdf.org
Tue Jun 11 01:42:29 CEST 2013

I am downloading time series data from FRED. I have a working download, but I
do not want to write out the download for all 50 states likes this:
 IDRGSP <-
read.table('http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/IDRGSP.txt', skip=11,
header=TRUE)
IDRGSP$DATE <- as.Date(IDRGSP$DATE, '%Y-%m-%d')
IDRGSP$SERIES <- 'IDRGSP'
IDRGSP$DESC <-  "Real Total Gross Domestic Product by State for Idaho, Mil.
of, A, NSA, 2012-06-05"

WYRGSP <- read.table('http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/WYRGSP.txt',
skip=11, header=TRUE)
WYRGSP$DATE <- as.Date(WYRGSP$DATE, '%Y-%m-%d')
WYRGSP$SERIES <- 'WYRGSP'
WYRGSP$DESC <-  "Real Total Gross Domestic Product by State for Wyoming,
Mil. of, A, NSA, 2012-06-05"
RGSP <- rbind(IDRGSP, WYRGSP)

I want to loop but I can not get the paste to work correctly. I am trying
this:  Can someone help me figure out the loop so I can build a table for
all 50 states.
ab <- c(state.abb)
base <- "'http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/"
type <- "RGSP.txt', skip=11, header=TRUE";

tmp <- NULL;
for (a in ab) {
  url <- paste(base, a, type, sep="");

if (is.null(tmp))