[R] gamm in mgcv random effect significance

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 23:35:41 CEST 2013

I would be very nervous about relying on an anova call here. It will
attempt a generalized likelihood ratio test, but gamm is using penalized
quasi likelihood and there is really no likelihood here (even without
the problem that if there was a likelihood the null hypothesis would
still be on the edge of the feasible parameter space making the GLRT
problematic). The best hope might be to model the random effect of xc
using a term s(xc,bs="re") in the model formula (xc will need to be a
factor for this), and then use summary on the gam part of the fitted
model object to assess significance. If you do this you'll need to
include the grouping factor explicitly in corAR1 (at present it's picked
up from the random effect, so is nested in xc).
i.e
   g2 <- gamm(y ~ s(xc) +z+ int,family=binomial, weights=trial, random =
list(xc=~1),correlation=corAR1())
becomes something like...
   xf <- factor(xc)
   g2 <- gamm(y ~ s(xc) +z+ int + s(xf,bs="re"),family=binomial,
weights=trial,
             correlation=corAR1(form=~1|xf))
   summary(g2$gam)

... I'm also a bit nervous about xc entering as an iid random effect and
the argument of a smooth, however - does that model structure really
make sense?

best,
Simon