[R] R + face detection a good mix?

mixersoft mixersoft at gishpuppy.com
Wed Jun 12 05:05:59 CEST 2013

Hello, a newbie here just trying to figure out where to start with R.

I want to build an algorithm that can detect 'duplicate' photos from a
series of photos - the common example is when you take multiple photos of a
group of people, hoping that one shot captured everyone smiling. Any batch
of kid photos would be another example because they rarely sit still for the
camera.

One approach is to use timestamps to find photos taken at about the same
time, and match the position & spatial relationship of identical faces. I
think OpenCV has a face recognition lib that is well-used.

Is R something I could use to build an algorithm matches faces as above with
a specified degree of tolerance? (i.e. one person in the group blinked or
moved)

There has been a lot of news recently about sophisticated new image
processing algos in Google+ photos, Facebook, etc for finding good photos
and hiding bad ones.  Has something like this already been done?