[R] [R-SIG-Mac] problem with the installation of r commander on a mac

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Wed Jun 12 23:27:27 CEST 2013

Le mercredi 12 juin 2013 à 16:52 -0400, John Fox a écrit :
> Dear Susanne,
>
> You started this thread on r-help (though R-SIG-Mac would have been more
> appropriate), and so I'm copying my response to the r-help list. People will
> find it confusing if the messages are simply kept private.
>
> It's not obvious to me exactly what your problem is now. In particular, is
> the Rcmdr package working when you start XQuartz before R?
>
> I see that you've installed and loaded the FactoMineR package. Presumably
> the Rcmdr package was already installed. Then you executed an R script
> provided by the authors of the FactoMineR package, which reinstalls and then
> modifies the Rcmdr package. I think that this is ill-advised (as opposed to
> providing an Rcmdr plug-in package for FactoMineR, as used to be the case),
> and if you're having problems with their script, you should really contact
> the authors.
>
> If I read the messages correctly, the script produces warnings, not errors,
> oddly relating to the language you're using (odd because the authors of the
> FactoMineR package are French) and it's possible that everything will work
> correctly despite the warnings.
It's possible that the file
http://factominer.free.fr/add-menu-facto-fr.txt that the FactoMineR
script downloads is not read using the correct encoding (it is in
CP2152), and thus contains invalid UTF-8 characters.

So indeed I would reinstall Rcmdr using
install.packages("Rcmdr")

and load Rcmdr separately using
library(Rcmdr)

If that works, the bug is in FactoMineR's nonstandard way of installing
a menu. A workaround might be to use their English install script:
source("http://factominer.free.fr/install-facto.r")

Regards