[R] Simulating from a special type of bivariate exponential distribution

Don McKenzie dmck at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 16 16:05:47 CEST 2013

This looks like a homework problem, and has no R question in it.

If it is homework, ask your professor or fellow students for help.

If not, and you have a question about R, please post that.

On Jun 15, 2013, at 8:17 PM, INDRANIL GHOSH <jamesbond.indranil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the following problem in simulating samples from a bivariate
> exponential distribution with the following construction:
>
> Start with three independent exponential random variables say W1,W2 and W3
> with intensity parameters lambda 1, lambda 2 and lambda 3 respectively.
>
> Now I construct a bivariate distribution (X,Y) such that
>
> (X,Y) is distributed as (W1,W2  given that W0<min(W1,W2)).
>
> The resulting distribution has the form
>
> f(x,y)=((lambda 1+lambda 2+lambda 3)/lambda 3)*exp(-lambda 1*x-lambda 2*y)
> *(1-exp(lambda 3*min(x,y)), with the joint support x>0, y>0.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Indranil
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Don McKenzie, Research Ecologist
Pacific WIldland Fire Sciences Lab
US Forest Service

Affiliate Professor
School of Forest Resources, College of the Environment
CSES Climate Impacts Group
University of Washington

phone: 206-732-7824
dmck at uw.edu