[R] NMDS with missing data?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Jun 17 20:28:43 CEST 2013

David et. al.:

I hate to be a pest but ...

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM, David Carlson <dcarlson at tamu.edu> wrote:
> First, Bert is correct. I should have said to use prcomp(dat, center=TRUE, scale=TRUE). That will run the svd on the standardized variables which is equivalent to using princomp(dat, cor=TRUE).

***You will have to remove the cases with missing variables or impute
the missing variables using one of many options in R. ***

Depending on the number of missings and nature of the missingness,
this can be a crucial issue. Omitting all data with missing entries
makes very strong assumptions about the nature of the missingness and
can lead to highly biased results. Which is problematic for
exploration, even. The same is true with imputation -- you need to do
it properly. Again, depending on the number of cases at issue.

So it may be wise for Elizabeth to consult a local statistical expert
and not rely on superficial background from a text and remote advice.
There may be dragons ...

Cheers,
Bert

> The principal() function in package psych should be fine and will probably give nearly identical results. It does have the ability to generate a pairwise-deletion correlation matrix so you could include your cases with missing values. I would set rotate="none" least initially. Hopefully your text will explain why this is a good idea.
>
> I assume you are looking for interesting patterns in the data rather than trying to test a specific hypothesis. Given that, you should try both (or all three with principal()) and see if there are any interesting differences between them.
>
> Earlier I asked if all your variables are numeric (or dichotomies). If any are categorical (factors), these suggestions may have to be revised.
>
> -------------------------------------
> David L Carlson
> Associate Professor of Anthropology
> Texas A&M University
> College Station, TX 77840-4352

>>> K
>>> CL
>>> HCO3
>>> ANION
>>> CA
>>> P
>>> GLUCOSE
>>>  CHOLEST
>>>        GGT
>>>    GLDH
>>> CK
>>> AST
>>> PROTEIN
>>> ALBUMIN
>>> GLOBULIN
>>> A_G
>>> UA
>>> BA
>>> CORTICO
>>> T3
>>> T4
>>> THYROID
>>> 145
>>> 3.3
>>> 102
>>> 24
>>> 22
>>> 2.9
>>> 2.45
>>> 9.8
>>> 5.7
>>> 3
>>> 3
>>> 678
>>> 5
>>> 34
>>> 15
>>> 19
>>> 0.79
>>> 180
>>> 6
>>> 70.97
>>> 1.31
>>> 12.77
>>> 0.102376
>>> 146
>>> 3.2
>>> 102
>>> 21
>>> 26
>>> 2.89
>>> 2.68
>>> 11.1
>>> 6.78
>>> 3
>>> 4
>>> 1290
>>> 9
>>> 36
>>> 18
>>> 18
>>> 1
>>> 170
>>> 13
>>> 79.1
>>> 3.51
>>> 18.78
>>> 0.186751
>>> 147
>>> 2.5
>>> 103
>>> 22
>>> 25
>>> 2.96
>>> 2.59
>>> 10
>>> 5.78
>>> 3
>>> 6
>>> 1582
>>> 11
>>> 35
>>> 17
>>> 18
>>> 0.94
>>> 272
>>> 10
>>> 65.84
>>> 1.84
>>> 15.5
>>> 0.118602
>>> 148
>>> 2.5
>>> 101
>>> 21
>>> 29
>>> 2.91
>>> 2.91
>>> 10.6
>>> 5.83
>>> 3
>>> 3
>>> 1479
>>> 8
>>> 35
>>> 17
>>> 18
>>> 0.94
>>> 317
>>> 8
>>> 74.9
>>> 2.59
>>> 20.68
>>> 0.125389
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Elizabeth
>>>
>>> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM, David Carlson <dcarlson at tamu.edu> wrote:
>>> Since you pass your entire data.frame to metaMDS(), your first error
>>> probably comes from the fact that you have included ID as one of the
>>> variables. You should look at the results of
>>>
>>> str(dat)
>>>
>>> You can drop cases with missing values using

>>> would run the analysis on all but the first column (ID) with all the cases
>>> containing complete data. But that assumes that sex and exposure are not
>>> factors.
>>>
>>> Or you could use one of the distance functions in dist() which adjust for
>>> missing values. However dist() does not have an option to use Bray-Curtis
>>> (the default in metaMDS()). Bray-Curtis is designed for comparing species
>>> counts or proportions so it is not clear that it is an appropriate
>>> dissimilarity measure for your data. Further, your data seem contain a
>>> mixture of measurement scales and/or magnitudes so some variable
>>> standardization or transformations are probably necessary before you can
>>> get
>>> any useful results from MDS.
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------
>>> David L Carlson
>>> Associate Professor of Anthropology
>>> Texas A&M University
>>> College Station, TX 77840-4352

>>> 2: In Ops.factor(left, right) : < not meaningful for factors
>>> 3: In Ops.factor(left, right) : < not meaningful for factors
>>> 4: In Ops.factor(left, right) : < not meaningful for factors
>>> 5: In Ops.factor(left, right) : < not meaningful for factors
>>>
>>> The second way with only those last biochemical variables (29 in total).
>>>
>>> mydata.mds<-metaMDS(measurements)
>>>
>>> I get this error:
>>>
>>> Error in if (any(autotransform, noshare > 0, wascores) && any(comm < 0)) {
>>> :
>>>   missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>>>
>>> My go to "na.rm=TRUE" does nothing. Any ideas on how to account for NAs and
>>> if so which of the above options I should be using?
>>> Thanks!