[R] R 2.11 on Mac OS X

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jun 22 10:27:58 CEST 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Norman Jessup wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently upgraded to R 2.11.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.4.   Now when I start R up I get the following message:
>
> Error in identical(call[[1L]], quote(doTryCatch)) :
>  7 arguments passed to .Internal(identical) which requires 5
> Error in normalizePath(dirname(pkgpath), "/", TRUE) :
>  3 arguments passed to .Internal(normalizePath) which requires 1
> cannot find system Renviron
>
> I get a similar message with user-defined functions ( i.e "X arguments passed when Y defined" ) though the functions appear to work.  This problem is also encountered when Rstudio fires up and so it cannot run now.
>
> I did find a post that suggested it may be due to R accessing an old, possibly 32 bit library (I used to have 32 and 64 bit R installed and they both ran without trouble).  Possibly I need to completely clean out the installation and start again?  but I'm not sure precisely where the R support files are stored on Macs.  Can anyone give me a pointer and/or suggest an alternative fix?

R 2.11.1 is a rather archaic version. The current version is 3.0.1. You seems to have skipped major versions 2.12, 2.13,, 2.14 2.15. I doubt that OSX 10.8.4 was available when 2.11.1 was compiled. There is a mailing list for MacOS versions of R but I doubt there will be much interest in supporting version 2.11.1 on OSX 10.8.4. I suggest you install instead version 3.0.1

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA