[R] Lexical scoping is not what I expect

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Mon Jun 24 22:40:47 CEST 2013

Hello,

The object 'a' exists if function f() not in the global environment
where g() is defined. R is in fact going up, but to the global
environment and not finding 'a'. Try, as an example, the following.

f <- function(x) {
	g <- function(y) { y + a }
	a <- 5
	g(x)
}

f(2)  # 7

Now R is finding 'a'. Because g() exists in the environment of f() (like
'a' does.)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas