[R] Ifelse leading to inconsistent result

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Wed Jun 26 19:15:06 CEST 2013

I don't see that you have set up mutually exclusive ranges. If we
modify your code so save the maxlogP and minlogP values:

niter = 1e5 # number of iterations is 10^5
CountLoss = rep(0,niter)
CountProf = rep (0,niter)
maxlogP <- rep(0, ninter)
minlogP <- rep(0, ninter)
set.seed(2009) # enables reproducibility of result if script run
again"
for (i in 1:niter)
{
  r = rnorm(100,mean=.05/253,
            sd=.23/sqrt(253)) # generate 100 random normal numbers
  logPrice = log(1e6) + cumsum(r) #vector of 100 days log prices
  maxlogP[i] = max(logPrice) # max price over next 100 days
  minlogP[i] = min(logPrice)
  CountLoss[i] <- ifelse (minlogP[i] < log(950000), 1, ifelse
(maxlogP[i] > log (1000000), 0, 1))
  CountProf[i] <- ifelse (maxlogP[i] < log (1100000),0,1)
}
both <- which(CountLoss+CountProf>1)
length(both)
# 18484
head(both)
# [1]  1  5  9 12 15 25
ifelse (minlogP[1] < log(950000), 1, ifelse (maxlogP[1] > log
(1000000), 0, 1))
# [1] 1
ifelse (maxlogP[1] < log(1100000),0,1)
# [1] 1
exp(maxlogP[1])
# [1] 1204589
exp(minlogP[1])
# [1] 932747.5

Your first simulation meets both criteria along 18483 others!

David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352