[R] Write an Excel workbook?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Jun 27 21:14:47 CEST 2013

Hello:

Is there a fully transportable way to write an Excel workbook?

The "writeFindFn2xls" function in the "sos" package attempts to write
search results to an Excel workbook consisting of (1) a summary of the
packages identified in the search, (2) the individual help pages found,
and (3) the search that produced 1 and 2. Unfortunately, for some time
now, it only works with 32-bit R; the 64-bit R writes this information
to three separate csv files.

The current code first tries WriteXLS{WriteXLS}. Unfortunately, this
fails on my computer, because it can't find the Perl module
"Text::CSV_XS". I don't see an easy fix to this.

If WriteXLS fails, the code then tries odbcConnectExcel{ODBC}. From
this, I get, "odbcConnectExcel is only usable with 32-bit Windows".
That's OK, but it means that I need to run all my searches on 32-bit R,
and I usually use 64-bit R.

I tried write.xls{dataframes2xls}. This put quotes around everything,
which I found unacceptable.

findFn('write.xls') identified a function by that name in the "marray"
package. Unfortunately, install.packages("marray") produced, "Warning
message: package ‘marray’ is not available (for R version 3.0.1)"
"???xls" failed to produce anything else that looked to me like it would
write a complete workbook.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Spencer Graves

 > sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

other attached packages:
[1] RODBC_1.3-6 WriteXLS_2.3.1 sos_1.3-7 brew_1.0-6