[R] when to use & pros/cons of dataframe vs. matrix?

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Jun 27 22:03:35 CEST 2013

Hello,

Arun's answer shows that matrices are faster. If your data is all of the
same type, then this might be a point for matrices.
data.frames are better for modeling. You can use the formula interface
to the many modeling functions. For instance, the example below is _not_
possible with a matrix.

set.seed(1234)
dat <- data.frame(x = rnorm(100), A = sample(letters[1:4], 100, TRUE), y
= rnorm(100))

model <- lm(y ~ x + A, data = dat) # not possible with matrix

#predict.lm needs data.frames
newdat <- data.frame(x = c(1,3,4), A = rep("a",3))
predict(model, new = newdat)

There are many other examples like this one. If you are doing data
modeling, use data frames.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas