[R] Color spalettes for black/white printing

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Mar 5 12:39:09 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, David Studer wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> Does anyone know a good way to color my images so that
> when I print them out on a non-color-printer the colors used
> can be distinguished well? As I have many categories I would
> not want to assign the colors c("black", "grey", "white") by
> hand.

The "colorspace" package provides a wide range of colors that - when
printed on a grayscale printer - still preserve an increasing/decreasing
gray palette.

To explore these, see choose_palette() in "colorspace" which opens a GUI,
let's you play around with the palettes, see them in example displays, and
also let's you collapse them to gray colorse (option: desaturate).

Furtheremore, you can explore the effects of different types of color
blindness (provided that the "dichromat" package is installed).

Best,